January 7, 2016—
At the start of every year, many people make a pledge to get organized. Even though 2016 is already here, it’s not too late to get your home maintenance on a schedule for the coming year. In fact, now is the perfect time to get started with your planning. (This is especially true right now since most of the 2016 calendars are in deep discount sales bins.) So get yourself a calendar and a pen and let’s get to organizing your house so that you can keep your home running smoothly (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-set-up-an-annual-home-maintenance-calendar-176043).
Every 1 to 2 Months
• Clean garbage disposal using hot water and baking soda
• Change air filters
• Flush out the hot water heater
• Test smoke detectors and other alarms
• Caulk the tiles in your bathroom
• Clean the refrigerator and change out the baking soda
• Flip your mattress
• Wipe down the baseboards
• Clean the gutters (Spring and Fall)
• Reverse ceiling fan directions (Spring and Fall)
• Replace smoke detector batteries (Summer and Winter)
• Check door handles and locks to make sure they aren’t loose (Summer and Winter)
• Wash windows and doors and screens (Spring)
• Replace the window and door weather stripping (Spring)
• Get your air conditioner serviced (Spring)
• Prepare your disaster preparedness/emergency kit, or update the materials that have expired (Summer)
• Perform garage-door maintenance including oiling the hinges (Summer)
• Clean out the hoses for clothes washer and dryer (Summer)
• Replace kitchen exhaust filter (Summer)
• Clean refrigerator coils (Summer)
• Drain sprinkler systems to prevent freezing (Fall)
• Insulate outdoor faucets and pipes (Fall)
• Get your chimney and furnace serviced (Fall)
• Check your home and roofs for leaks (Winter)
• Clean sink and tub drains (Winter)
Once you have set these up on your handy calendar, you also need to set reminders on your phone or tablet. These reminders will give you digital alerts when it is time to work on them. Just set aside a weekend or so each month for your household maintenance and you will find your home running smoothly and without any real cares.
We’re always on the lookout for Quick, Easy, and Exciting Tips for Making Your House an Even Better Home.
And, remember: A better home for you can pay off big at appraisal time.
More PrivatePlus Mortgage CONNECTIONS